Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Question for Banat

"Circlotron often baffles me, I admit, but I see the PS capacitors as being in parallel with the output, not in series. You may say that this is a distinction without a difference. I wouldn't know until I try it."

I would say that, roughly speaking, the upper half of the audio waveform passes through one of the power supplies, and the lower half passes through the other power supply. (With a relatively minor amendment to that statement, since there will be some lesser amount of quiescent current through each set of tubes at the cross-over point in the waveform.)

In any case, if you trace the current through the loudspeaker, tubes and power supplies, it is evident that whatever audio current passes through each set of output tubes passes also through the power supply connected to their anodes (since it can go nowhere else). So if it is agreed that the audio signal is passing through the output tubes, then it must necessarily also pass through the corresponding power supply.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.