Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Question for Banat

Dear Banat,
I was very interested to read that you recommend a capacitor in parallel with the recommended cathode resistors on the 6C33Cs. I also see that it is large enough in value (1000uF) to bypass all audio AC around the cathode resistor. That idea is good in one way; it prevents an increase in overall output impedance at audio frequencies that would otherwise be caused by the insertion of the 10R cathode resistors. But on the other hand, does it not introduce a new issue? Specifically, all the audio has to go thru that capacitor, which is in series with the output signal. In practice, have you perceived any audible problems with that? (In a way, it cancels out one of the great advantages of the circlotron vs the Futterman, direct coupling.) Otherwise, I like the idea, because I have been reluctant to use the larger value resistors, e.g., 1 ohm vs 10 ohms, for fear of raising output Z by an objectionable amount. Or is there something amiss with my analysis? Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.