Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: OT comment on Silvaweld phono stage

First, each of the tubes is a dual section triode. The SRPP is constructed using one half of a triode for the bottom section and the other half of the same tube for the top section. It does not require two discrete tubes to construct the SRPP.

IIRC, my unit has 5 tubes. Two tubes PER CHANNEL are used for the input and output voltage amplifier functions I described. That makes 4 tubes. Then, each half of the 5th dual section triode is used as a CF, one half for each channel.

I've traced the entire circuit of the SWH550. You may recall that I was unable to get a schematic from any source, including Mr Park. So I finally and painfully figured it out myself. I now have a schematic of the original circuit. In the course of my search, I also looked for info on the SWH650, which is what you have, I think. No luck there either. I am rather curious regarding differences. Does your unit have a separate outboard PS chassis? Mine has the power trannie, a tube rectifier, and the input choke and large capacitor all mounted outboard. The transformer is impressively massive. Then on the main chassis, the left hand half has voltage regulators and CCSs, all constructed from tubes, plus the DC filament supply. The audio section is confined to the right hand half of the PCB. My unit has an attenuator mounted in the center of the front panel. It's pretty extreme, so I wondered how the 650 would be any more elaborate. (I assume the the 650 is in some way a step up from the 550, only because of the model number progression.) I did nothing to the PS except to upgrade some capacitors from electrolytic to polypropylene film and to add some fancy film type bypass capacitors, just empirically.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.