Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

OT comment on Silvaweld phono stage

I revised the RIAA circuit inside my SWH550 quite extensively, while conserving intact the very nice tube-rectified, choke-loaded PS and voltage regulation. (I did nothing to change the values for RIAA; I changed only the input and output sides of the audio circuit.) Recently, I have been using a Aesthetix Janus full-function preamplifier as the source for my second system, using Beveridge speakers. The Janus was a gift from the estate of my close friend who is now suffering from dementia, very sadly. It's obviously a great piece, but I had been vaguely dissatisfied with phono. Last night I hooked up my Silvaweld to one of the high level inputs on the Janus linestage section and proved myself correct. The Silvaweld just blows away the Janus phono (using input from a Grace Ruby cartridge on a Dynavector tonearm). Holy cow! I was up until 2 AM listening.

In my main system, the Atma MP1 sounds noticeably superior to the Silvaweld. So, the Janus has a way to go. At some pint, I will mess with it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.