Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Klyne 6LX up and running the Beveridges

I probably love the Grace Ruby more than it deserves to be loved, but I keep going back to it nevertheless. About a year ago, I bought a second one off eBay; on that one the cantilever/stylus had been literally ripped out of its red removable stylus assembly. However it appeared otherwise to be NOS. I sent it off to SoundSmith and it came back with a new ruby cantilever and one of their OCL styli. I have not auditioned it yet. But your answer is "yes"; SoundSmith can replace your ruby cantilever with ruby plus a new stylus, but it won't be elliptical. I went for the most expensive of two options for styli. Cost $350. The lesser one is $250. If you really prefer elliptical, talk to them about it.

I can't get away from the Bev system. I must have listened for 4-5 hours yesterday alone, which is unusual for me. The Klyne is getting better as its PS breaks in. (I built it myself.) I also replaced every one of many electrolytic capacitors on the audio chassis, and those need to break in as well. It was unimpressive for the first hour, but since then it's giving a very "full", rich sound; I would never have identified it as a solid state device if blinded. The Quicksilver preamp sounded more like SS, if anything, on this same system. At some point, I would like to try my MP1 on this system. The MP1 is "king".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.