Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Roger Modjeski and direct-drive ESL amplifier

When you wrote, "..The DD are in sight...", do you mean to say that you are going to use RM's DD amplifiers to drive your Beveridge speakers? If so, which model of Bev? My Bev DD amps work fine driving the Bev 2SWs. I use the hi-pass filter built in to the 2SW amp chassis. Then I take a separate output from my preamp and use it to drive a Dahlquist DQLP1 electronic crossover. That gives adjustable crossover frequencies from 40 to 100Hz w/18db/octave slope. I use 100Hz, after experimenting with 80Hz. The lo-pass output of the Dahlquist drives an old Threshold S200 amp, which drives my home-built Transmission Line woofers (KEFB139s in a stereo pair). I am very happy with the bass support, and the crossover is audibly seamless.

The only changes I would like to make are to figure out the schematic of the Bev crossover so as to either do away with it (wonder if I could get away with a simple passive first order hi-pass filter) or improve upon it and to figure out a way to tweak the Bev amps a bit. But they are VERY prone to oscillation due to the high impedances in the drive circuit, so one must proceed with caution.

I guess the RM crossover would interest me. Do you know much about that? Is it all tubes?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Roger Modjeski and direct-drive ESL amplifier - Lew 08:21:12 01/01/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.