Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: ESL panels in the Model 3

Hi Lew,

No, the panels in the Model 3s are identical to the panels in the Model 2 and 2sw :Carbon resin stators as opposed to phenolic or FR4 type stators used in most of the Model 5s and up.

Yes, Modjeski has two OTL type products going: 1.) For "conventional" OTL's in the spirit of Futterman for any speaker and 2.) For driving right off the plates like your Model 2 and 2sw with sweep tubes. The latter is what I am going to get. There are stereo and mono models available and he can customize the number of tubes in order to drive greater of fewer panels for the current required. These direct drives can be used with any electostat.. you have to go in and attach the polarizing high voltage directly to the panels.. Quad and Beveridge (needs more current) included.

These Beveridges are what started my journey into electrostats some 30 years ago.. They are the very same speakers I heard back then at a local audiophiles home, he sold them and moved on and I purchased them off of the 80 something year old 2nd owner who wanted them to go to someone who would appreciate them.

I was too young and still in University back in the early 80's to afford the Beveridges so I journeyed through Acoustat X's (never should have sold them) Acoustat Model 3s , and still have multilple examples of ESL 57(I think my favourite midrange of all) and Quad USA monitors refurbed.

I need to purge a lot of collected equipment to make room for more "stuff" I do really want to simplify int he next year or so.. we'll see how the Beveridges fare. If the amps are good and DD has to be better than even an OTL into a step up transformer then I will get rid of all my amps and just keep the SET for a high efficiency set up. .. time will tell,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.