Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Modjeski and Beveridge

The original Beveridge direct-drive amplifiers, used only in their Model 2 and 2SW speakers, have a solid state input and driver circuit and a 4-tube output stage that uses 36KD6 pentodes. There is a lot about the input and driver circuit that I do not understand; it's quite complex. The 4 output tubes are arranged to form two totem-pole type topologies, one for each side of the diaphragm. The Beveridge ESL panels are also quite unique in that the diaphragm carries no static charge, has low resistance instead of high, and is driven by the amplifier along with the two stators on either side. Thus, one could not take the Beveridge amplifier and connect it to a conventional ESL panel, I don't think.

2SW vs Sound Lab 845PX: I am listening to the Beveridges every day, after taking several months to perfect it, asking myself whether they are as good as the 845PX. The beauty of the Bev system is that it is in my basement, and I can listen to it all night long without disturbing my wife. She cannot even hear the music up in our second-floor bedroom. The 845s are up in our living room, under the bedroom, and 11 PM is curfew, as far as she is concerned. This is a factor in favor of the Bevs. So far, it is obvious that the Bevs are superior for stereo imaging, have a much stabler sound stage that does not move around if you move your head by an inch or even several feet, as does happen with the 845s. In fact, the Beveridge image stays solidly in one place, so if you stand up, it is as if you were in the audience and stood up; the image stays where it was; sitting down, you are looking slightly up at the musicians; standing, they are at eye level. It's quite startling. The 845s have a bigger more massive and fuller sound. The Bevs are amazing at revealing inner details in recordings, without being at all irritating or "clinical" sounding. Surely, I could live with the Bevs alone, and I may do that eventually.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.