Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Quad ESL63's and OTL's?

I've been powering '63s with OTL3s for 30 years and can't think of a reason why you shouldn't consider such a match-up. Keep in mind, tho', that the Quads aren't gonna flap your pants with bottom octave bass or incite bats to flight with hypersonic treble. But if you appreciate the sound of well recorded jazz, classic or pop, they're a fine match.

As this is my first post here (and for full disclosure), I should probably add that, although it's been a coupla decades, I used to work in the audio business (sold Quads, Stax, NYAL, etc.) and've sold/installed dozens of Quads—mostly 63s, but a few ESLs—in audiophiles' homes. In fact, the OTLs you see in the photo are the pair that Harvey Rosenberg used to toss....well, maybe "toss" isn't the best word to use, but it's the pair he used to drive around in his station-wagon to dealer demos. Long ago, I replaced most of the original red WIMA(?) caps with Sidereals and MITs and shunted the p/s electrolytics with same, which improved and sweetened the sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Quad ESL63's and OTL's? - johnlennon_project 22:14:40 08/12/13 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.