In Reply to: RE: SoundLab transformer MOD posted by Ralph on April 18, 2012 at 09:52:07:
Well it been 10 good day with this type of Mod in on my Acoustats
so now like lew an some others i am looking at a cap on the input of the high frc tranfourmers primary ....so i put a big 40mf oil cap
This is how it looks on paper...Ralph has to say..
The only issue with the 1st pathway is that the HF toroid should not have low frequencies applied to it else it could distort due to saturation. That is easily solved by simply decreasing the cap value, which has the added benefit of greater transparency.
In some cases the cap is easily decreased as there are several in parallel and one can be simply cut out, in other cases the cap has to be replaced outright.
But then there this truth some of us beleave...
Tried it without the cap, did not experience saturation, so why put it there? Borrowing a line from you: "the cap can not ADD to the transparency, can it?"
An there more...
What I am saying is that the road may not have ended there- if the impedance can be further raised at high frequencies the door would be open to lower powered amps and lower distortion out of higher powered amps.
Very similar argument to what you had proposed. There are upsides and well as down sides of using capacitors. For me, capacitor sounds too obtrusive and should be avoided where ever possible.
Anyone who persist with ELS (and its many shortcomings) are in it for low level detail and its magical midrange, so I doubt your suggestion of a cap is a long term answer for this group of people.
More yet from Ralph
So- the idea here is to see if the impedance can be raised (thus reducing amplifier distortion) by examining the way the bass transformer and the new transformer interact at frequencies above the 'cutoff' of the LF transformer. Maybe its not a concern, but it may well prove worth looking into
All those lovely sounds are going through that horrid capacitor, which is in parallel with an equally lo-fi sand cast resistor, to form a filter which I gather protects the speaker from low bass transients OR is needed to equalize the frequency response. Ironic.
To me this gets funny that Dr.west would ever do the same thing
Dr.West uses lo-fi sand cast resistor in any ESL....this is moronic
But we all no this....back to My 40mf cap...
well here what it sounds like to me... if you have ever used a good pasive preamp...with no gain... that what i here with nothig in front of the high frc tranfourmer....if the input is at it best you get the best output out of the ESL...so with the cap in...the topend get rolled down.. like 1/2 db...an the cap can sound a little less detail and its magical midrange....
So then i get to looking at all the RF..an other hash that coming in to the ESL...like AM..FM..TV...an others
So i get some help from My old MartinLogans...Thay drop a Zobel in on there High frc tranfourmers all the time.....So i ran a 8ohm 200 watt from just in front of the 40mf cap down though a 20mf polstrine to the Neg input of the tranfourmers...
My ESL have been set up this way for 3 days .....an it sounds like i now have a Vary good preamp in ...an it the best yet...We got get the noise OUT....this is one way of doing it..an it sounds sweet....So if you do use a cap.. this works....NOw i am useing the same 50watt tube amp to drive this.... so it is not eating power with the Cap an Zobel in...With the cap an Zobel in i may be geting a littel more output....If it was less output... it would be the deal braker.....Goodluck
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - SoundLab tranfourmer MOD - tyu 15:32:09 04/17/12 (69)
- RE: SoundLab tranfourmer MOD - Lew 12:29:56 04/18/12 (62)
- Ok since it comes up here and there :) - Penguin 18:27:55 04/22/12 (40)
- I guess there is no interest... - Penguin 17:27:15 05/13/12 (0)
- RE: Ok since it comes up here and there :) - Ralph 08:19:50 04/25/12 (38)
- Stand corrected - Penguin 13:04:44 05/04/12 (37)
- yes... - Ralph 13:43:22 05/04/12 (36)
- Has anybody tried these? - Penguin 15:39:53 05/04/12 (0)
- Lots of room - Penguin 13:56:59 05/04/12 (34)
- Now THAT... - Lew 15:16:20 05/04/12 (33)
- Soundlab is harder - KIS 21:13:29 05/04/12 (32)
- RE: Soundlab is harder - Lew 22:31:32 05/04/12 (31)
- RE: Soundlab is harder - Ralph 12:20:51 05/07/12 (29)
- Dear Ralph,... - Lew 15:32:39 05/07/12 (28)
- more or less - Ralph 10:27:02 05/08/12 (27)
- RE: more or less - Lew 20:24:17 05/08/12 (25)
- You were plenty clear enough - Ralph 09:34:55 05/09/12 (24)
- This is hypothetical..., - Lew 11:07:51 05/09/12 (23)
- RE: This is hypothetical..., - Ralph 12:19:57 05/09/12 (22)
- RE: This is hypothetical..., - Lew 18:39:54 05/09/12 (21)
- RE: This is hypothetical..., - Ralph 09:17:22 05/10/12 (20)
- RE: This is hypothetical..., - KIS 15:07:20 05/10/12 (3)
- RE: This is hypothetical..., - tyu 06:11:13 05/11/12 (2)
- RE: This is hypothetical..., - Lew 15:04:55 05/10/12 (15)
- balanced input on that would be easy. nt - Ralph 20:03:24 05/10/12 (13)
- RE: balanced input on that would be easy. nt - Lew 16:28:10 05/11/12 (12)
- can we get just a tad more to the left in that photo? nt - Ralph 12:14:30 05/15/12 (8)
- Here you go... - Lew 19:24:52 05/15/12 (7)
- much better - Lew 19:37:51 05/15/12 (6)
- And more better - Lew 19:38:52 05/15/12 (5)
- RE: balanced input on that would be easy. nt - tyu 07:58:37 05/12/12 (2)
- RE: This is hypothetical..., - KIS 15:46:56 05/10/12 (0)
- Used to work with old TVs back in the early eighties... - Penguin 17:20:27 05/08/12 (0)
- If Ralph Builds One, I am on the queue nt - KIS 23:36:55 05/04/12 (0)
- Addendum - Lew 12:42:41 04/18/12 (20)
- RE: Addendum - KIS 09:18:34 04/26/12 (17)
- RE: Addendum - Lew 12:16:04 04/26/12 (16)
- RE: Addendum - KIS 12:39:12 04/26/12 (15)
- RE: Addendum - Ralph 13:42:00 04/26/12 (14)
- RE: Addendum - KIS 16:44:07 04/26/12 (13)
- RE: Addendum - Lew 12:14:02 04/27/12 (0)
- RE: Addendum - Ralph 09:12:28 04/27/12 (11)
- RE: Addendum - KIS 10:16:23 04/27/12 (10)
- RE: Addendum - tyu 12:22:51 04/27/12 (6)
- RE: Addendum - KIS 19:10:40 04/27/12 (5)
- RE: Addendum - Lew 12:03:35 04/27/12 (1)
- RE: Addendum - KIS 18:35:50 04/27/12 (0)
- RE: Addendum - Ralph 10:36:16 04/27/12 (0)
- RE: Addendum - Ralph 10:02:21 04/19/12 (1)
- I would put it this way... - Lew 19:39:56 04/19/12 (0)
- RE: SoundLab transformer MOD - Ralph 09:52:07 04/18/12 (5)Follow Ups
- RE: SoundLab transformer MOD - tyu 09:16:29 06/18/12 (0)