Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Sorry for the misunderstanding...

So, before Will first contacted me by email to tell me about the Australian transformers, I was wondering whether I could even just remove that parallel resistor in the hi-pass filter for the OEM SL treble toroid. Dr. West had repeatedly warned against doing that, for reasons having to do with the toroid, but it was clear to me that the major problem with driving the SL speakers using my OTLs had to do with that resistor. In fact, Will reported to me that he did remove the parallel resistor successfully in his early experiments, and upon hearing that he got away with it, I did the same, while waiting for the new transformers to get to me from Australia. You are quite correct; it's a big improvement vs with the resistor in place. What I did also was to reduce the series capacitance to 22uF so as not to change the -3db point of the hi-pass filter. (Accounting for the intrinsic impedance of the speaker at the crossover point, 22uF gives about the same "knee" as does 36uF plus the 8-ohm parallel resistor.) I think Will completely removed that capacitor on the primary of the toroid; I cannot recall what he said about that. I did not try it.

Edits: 06/04/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.