Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: How about an actual experiment?

Because of the nature of the circlotron circuit, no matter where you hook up the scope you will be seeing the combined waveform from each bank of the push pull. The whole circle is part of a "feedback loop" if you will.

Even though each bank's waveform is asymmetrical the combined waveform looks fine. This is normal for Class A/B amplifiers and for Class B amplifiers as well.

To look at the waveform of one bank will not be easy and to look at the waveform at a given power level will be harder.

If you pull one bank of tubes you will be able to see the asymmetrical waveform but you will have changed everything in terms of the feedback and loading.

I have no problem at all understanding that a tube idling at 60ma. can only reduce it's current by 60ma.

If the tube is driven to a current more than twice it's idle current then the lower waveform will be truncated.

If the current is increased to 200ma, that 1/2 current waveform will be of a size that represents 140ma. and will be much larger than the following 1/2 current waveform that can only be a 60ma. current waveform, at best.

200ma. per triode, 8 triodes per bank, one bank is cutoff or close to it.
(however much current is flowing in the other bank will subtract from the output power)

200ma times 8 is 1.6 amps peak.

1.6 amps peak across an 8 ohms speaker is 10.24 watts RMS.

With do respect to all parties, I don't really need to do an actual experiment.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 08/26/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.