Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Thinking about running my non-OTL Circlotron again

By real Class A I mean that the two halves of the wave form for each triode are symmetrical.

IOW, by 'real class A' you mean class A1.
BTW the actual waveforms we get off of an individual triode's cathode differs from the simulation in that it lacks the flat spot at the bottom of the curve unless the amp is driven into clipping.

I have run these amps with these output transformers before and they sound way better than any transformerless circlotron amp I have ever heard.

I've been castigated on the forums a number of times over the use of the word 'better' so these days I usually define it, however I'm pretty sure that you've not listened to any of the newer circuits out there in a while. You might want to avail yourself of that when you get a chance...

There is a very nice and rather long thread on diyaudio.com where some interesting ideas are presented. It is by no means the only thread where such occurs. For example there is another one about a hybrid Circlotron that uses an input coupling transformer for the output section, using MOSFETs for the output devices. We've built something similar in a tube embodiment, with a single-ended voltage amplifier and driver circuit. The simplicity offered works out very nicely for the guitar amp in which the circuit is used.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.