Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

You are absolutely right!

That's feedback.

Moderate feedback (like in this case) reduces low order harmonics (about 12 dB), but creates higher order ones.

In real world you can not have, at the same time, a completely filled in cask and a drunk wife (this is my best translation of an Italian proverb).

I suppose this is the reason why excessive feedback has such a bad reputation and why it is generally accepted that a good basic design (with inherent low distortion) is needed before ever thinking of applying NFB.

I realized this fact by extensively playing with simulations and this is the main driver for adopting frequency selective feedback instead.

If feeedback is vanishing away (starting from a few KHz), the creation of potential high order harmonics, that would be otherwise created by flat frequency feedback, is automatically prevented.

In conclusion, I think that, based on a careful case by case assessment, frequency selective feedback can be effective in improving audio performance.

Best Regards
Luca

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.