Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Warmer 6SN7

My experience is the red based CBS-Hytron or RCA labeled 5692 are centered more toward the midrange (at least in the apps I've used them whcih are Ampeg combo amps of the early 1960's). This is at the expense of extended high notes. Reminds me of adding a grid stopper to the power tubes. That sort of tonal reaction. One caution, plate voltages need to be dropped, if you want those 5692 to last.

The Raytheon brown based 6SN7WGT also is centered more toward midrange and bass. I also find most NOS RCA & Sylvania 6SN7GTB's to have similar response, but not as good bass as the Raytheon 6SN7WGT.

A lot of brightness or sibilance is due to the idle bias and plate voltages applied to the tube. Plus, the types and values of the coupling caps connected to these tubes. So, response to tube rolling can be different between units. Ampeg pushed the 6SN7's used in their combos pretty hard. This is part of the contribution to that shimmering, bright tone so characteristic of songs recorded using these amps. Such as early REM, for example.

Edits: 05/12/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.