Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Best aftermarket power cord for Atma M60s

Tre', Apart from the obvious, like the fact that one power cord may be more susceptible to RF than another, etc, I have no freakin' idea why one power cord sounds different from another. I have a suspicion that some boutique designs sound "different" because they are actually somewhat resistive to the big gobs of current that some amplifiers demand. I do know that I once spent several days listening to 4 or 5 different cords on my Atma-sphere amplifiers. The ones I tried cost up to about $600 each retail. I thought I heard differences. Cost had little to do with "goodness". Two fairly expensive AC cords were actually worse than the factory-supplied cords. Two were better, but we are talking slightly better, not earth-shatteringly better. One of those latter was a ribbon-type design, so I made my own cords using Goertz copper ribbon speaker wire that was lying around my basement. As I tried to imply, I am not a big believer in super-expensive power cords, so I would not care to take the position that they are critical determinants of audio Nirvana. You are welcome to contact me if you want to discuss the issue further.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Best aftermarket power cord for Atma M60s - Lew 12:49:22 04/12/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.