Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Just a guess...

The Futterman output circuit (used I think by Transcendent) is not balanced. Futterman invented or was the first to implement a "totem pole" output topology, where the plates of the tubes forming the "bottom" or ground side of the circuit are essentially connected to the cathodes of the tubes on the "top" or positive supply voltage side. It may be that any two tubes of the same type and matched within random standards will share the current adequately and well enough that selecting tubes is not necessary. Many years ago, Julius Futterman used to sell replacement 6LF6s that he had merely tested for function to customers for $5 each, no matching necessary according to Julius. (Interestingly, in later years after Julius passed away, I had to go to NYAL in the person of Harvey Rosenberg for a single replacement tube. He told me that he alone had Julius' "data" for my amplifiers and that if I gave him the serial numbers he would select a matched 6LF6 for me at the cost of $50. Go figure.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.