Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Unreg or reg PSUs ? any improvment ?!

Interesting to learn that Atma-sphere now uses a CRC filter for output supply. Per Speltz's Tweak, I use CRCRC, where the first R = 0.21 ohms and the second R = 0.1 ohm. But there is value as you suggest in partially reducing the tremendous load on the rectifiers that occurs when one uses only a huge capacitance after the rectifiers. I use 2000uF - 0.21ohms - 2000uF - 0.1 ohms - 10,000uF in my CRCRC filter. There is no doubt in my mind that this Tweak improved bass response AND S/N ratio. I think Ralph's argument with Harvey did center on his belief that one needs to keep the impedance of the supply as low as possible and that this would become a problem with any feasible inductor in the filter. Of course, Harvey was free to use huge free-standing monster inductors in his homebrew modified M60s. Moreover, I think Ralph and others had tested the CLC option and found that the sonics were not satisfying, i.e., not as good as with no inductor at all. I agree with you, HR seldom had any concrete advice to give; his writings were more for entertainment value.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.