Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Unreg or reg PSUs ? any improvment ?!

This sounds like an Atma-sphere type balanced, triode OTL. I am a bit over my head technically as far as giving you advice on regulating the output stage. (I see no problem regulating the input and driver stages, but it sounds like you will use the OA2/OB2 to provide set grid voltages. I don't think you can regulate the whole B+ and B- supplies adequately with just those VR tubes, but maybe I'm wrong...) The simplest answer I can give is that it would probably be best NOT to regulate the output supply. Too bad the ASOG Tweaks archives are in limbo; Paul Speltz had posted a very good tweak for filtering the output supply voltage using a CRCRC configuration, where the Rs are very small to keep the impedance of the supply low (i.e., less than 0.5 ohms). I use his idea in my amps with good results. There was once a brouhaha arising out of a Positive Feedback article by Harvey Rosenberg, in which he recommended adding chokes to filter the output supply voltage, in a CLC configuration. Ralph disagreed with this idea, vehemently. It is a great pity that Mark Gilmore, Paul Speltz, and Al Sekala are no longer contributing to OTL wisdom; any of them could give you a better response than I have done.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Unreg or reg PSUs ? any improvment ?! - Lew 07:15:14 02/25/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.