Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: 6as7 life continued...

Interesting to see that you feel dedicated lines are not the answer at least to AC noise generated in your own home. I have found with four dedicated 20-amp lines powering my audio system that my system sounds just about the same at any time of day, i.e., darn good. Have you checked to see whether the ground side of your dedicated AC line(s) is/are isolated from "house ground". My dedicated lines are grounded to separate copper poles imbedded in the ground (literally) outside my house, well away from house ground. Perhaps this makes a difference.

The various methods for cleaning AC are all meritorious in their own ways, but one must be careful with large tube power amps, which consume power in big gulps, that the device, whatever it is, does not delimit the current available for the amplifier. Brian's problem seems more severe than that which we normally attribute to AC grundge. For one thing, he hasn't said that it's time-of-day dependent. If you get an isolation transformer, make sure it's industrial size. Overkill always makes us audiophools feel good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.