Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: 6as7 life continued...

Hi Guys !!

After using Atma-sphere OTL's for a number of years I think that I have become so spoiled to listening to a super transparent, smooth musical signal that when it changes for some reason we noticed it right away. I have chased my tail trying to find solutions to all sorts of noise and anomalys and when the day was done it was mostly due to bad line voltage. The noisy AC line can cause us to notice all sorts of things with these OTL's. I have noticed that when the AC line voltage is relatively clean that I hear a very smooth and dynamic presentation( ie. very late at night or early am like one or two in the morning). However, when the AC is dirty the signal becomes hashy and sluggish and sometimes hard and brittle. So, what's the solution ???? Well---pick your poison and buy or try the myriad of different types of power line conditioners. I have not bought one yet because the majority of the time my amps sound damn good. When I first bought my MP3 I had a annoying buzzing sound from my tweeter. I bought a couple of Quite line AC filters (the cheap little black boxes) that you plug in to your AC outlets. The buzz went away completely----so I came to the conclusion that allot of the problems we have is because of this dirty AC. I am going to buy a good isolation transformer and see if it it helps. Anyway---that's my 2 cents worth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.