Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: silver-plated copper

Hi -

The lower stepdown ratio, plus the autoformer configuration does help minimize some of the capacitive effect, but, IMO, it still reintroduces several of the traditional weaknesses of a conventional transformer coupled output to a reduced degree. The question is then whether the reduction in distortion, increase in damping factor and increase in power is worth it for the application at hand.

I've always run my DC coupled OTL direct into the load, but when I was pushing it hard into the nominal 4-5 ohm load of the Basement Blasters a while back, I realized eventually that its distortion was audibly somewhat higher than into an easier load, but in this case, I was able to compensate here by biasing the OTL somewhat farther into Class A operation and accepted the slight loss of power. Of course, unlike some OTLs, mine has a high damping factor, so that frequency response dependencies on the load were not an issue here.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: silver-plated copper - Tom Dawson 20:49:27 02/16/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.