Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Sshhhh!

HI Allan,

I get great sound with the amp. Out of 30 or so amps I have had in the studio it is clearly one of the best.

gd says it best below.......

"Unfortunately looking for detail and “purity” to the recorded source might be denuding the playback of the cues that remind one of real music"

And I agree 100%.

To me ultimately the amp (270) would have a tranny or autoformer based volume for the input. Which would not at all detract from the amps amazing circuit . It would simply be a way to tame the -input- impedance mismatch shortcomngs that occurs in reality with nearly every source.

A Sonic Euphoria TVC would sound stellar with this unit on ANY speaker, or the Silver Rock mentioned above. To tame the shortcomings of the -source-, not the amp.

To me, an input impedance mismatch means the last bit of sweetness is obscured, even with a slight mismatch.

Technically, the amp has no peer IMHO. It's way ahead of most source output stage configurations however. That is why it needs a transformer at the input, or a linestage. I have a few tubed output cd players that work remarkable with 270. But as you know you could gain clarity without the tube at the source. But the tube sounds best because opamps and DAC chips cannot quite mount the input sensitivity for a truly dynamic tonal balance with ANY amp and get all the sweetness I know to be on the disc (A or D).

TC

PS: my speakers are simply revealing any amps character directly. That's one of the reasons the 270 stays. And I will probably use it in Denver in the Conifer 3 ballroom next Oct..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.