Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

OTL VERSUS SET AND SET OTL

Hi Thorsten,

A few years ago you helped me by email with some issues in an SE 300 B amp using your C3M driver circuit. I have been interested for some time in the idea of an SET OTL, and am interested the Transcendent Sound produced one. Never heard it though. If you do get around to experimenting with such a circuit, I for one would be very interested in learning about it.

I built one of the first, if not the first, pair of M60 kits that Atma-Sphere sold quite a few years ago. (It used 12AT7's and 12AU7's in the driver circuit.) I modified them quite a bit with Ralph Karsten's help. Later I traded them for another component. While I personally like SET's better, I do think--from a subjective experience viewpoint--that each has their advantages. The OTL's can have amazing speed and transparency. The Atma-Spheres did sound good when I briefly tried them with some warm-sounding Tannoy Stirlings I used to have.

So I think an SET OTL with at least about 5 watts per channel is a very intriguing idea.

My 2 cents worth,
David Lawrence

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.