Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Email me.

I am actually planning an article for the British Journal of Aesthetics on hi fi - never been done before and I'm persuaded that hi fi raises some genuinely distinctive philosophical issues - or at least, they intrude practically in a way that is unusual. I am planning to interview several hi fi people (I can tell you who is on the list by email), which will also make the article rather unusual in a philosophical journal.

As I say, it is not true that things sound or look to one as one think they do (though it is natural and excusable to think they do). The key is that (as philosophers long suspected, and empirical results have now demonstrated beyond doubt) the perceptual field arises independently of, and anterior to, cognitive/evaluative processing. For example, the phenomenon of blindsight: subjects with certain brain injuries can perceive things that they claim not to (this is shown by their propensity to guess correctly - or rather they think they are only guessing). Many other phenonemena point the same direction. Judgements based on perception can be influenced in many ways, and in perfect sincerity. That is why, for example, people will insist on the dramatic difference their new power cord makes to their system, without being in the slightest bit insincere in claiming to hear the difference. They are wrong about what they hear, as paradoxical as that sounds. Anyway if you are interested in contributing to the project, let me know (it would not be onerous in the slightest).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Email me. - Dr. Philosophy 09:42:42 01/23/05 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.