Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: AtmaSphere pre-amp puzzle...

Rupe,

Ok, I've read over your question a few times, and I think I get the gist of it.. and I think I have a solution. Your comment that using RCA-XLR adapter doesn't work, and requires switching tape-outs seems to be a red herring. Some background is needed.

The tape outs on an Atma-Sphere MP-3 are actually the same tape out - since the MP-3 is balanced, the 'two' tape outs are in fact the noninverted and inverted phases of the same signal, appearing on two different RCA jacks.

If you install a standard RCA-XLR adapter to the MP-3's XLR input, the adapter will connect pin 3 (inverted phase) to pin 1 (ground). This will effectively kill any output coming from the "inverted" tape out.

If you are listening to the headphone amp on the noninverted tape out, you should be able to toggle between a true XLR balanced input, and one derived from an RCA-XLR adapter without any problem. Note that you will have to use the RCA-XLR adapter for this; the RCA inputs on the preamp do not have connections to the tape outs.

Hope that helps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: AtmaSphere pre-amp puzzle... - Legendre 09:29:37 01/19/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.