Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

I lean Joule

Probably because I own them. I've listened to Joule stuff and Atma-Sphere stuff back-to-back and prefered the Joule. I thought that the Joule had a much "jucier" presentation (especially in the mids) than the Atma-Sphere, which was a little dry for my taste. I'm not sure what kind of sound you might prefer.

I've also heard the Berning (actually two of them) at my house when "fourprof" was nice enough to bring his down for a little comparison. My listening room was in progress and we were having some ground issues, but my take was that the Berning was more detailed, but not as exciting as the Joule. I was amazed by the detail I was hearing out of the Bernings, but the Joule's sounded more like live music to me.

That being said, I think we both chose right for our musical tastes. I've got a lot of vocal stuff that really shines with the Joule equipment, while John listens to mostly instrumental guitar music that really pops on the Bernings.

Someone at Merlin described the Berning/Joule difference this way: Think of a super high resolution satellite picture of New York City in which you can see every detail--that's the Berning. Now think of a vibrant picture of the Amazon rain forest--that's the Joule.

Try and hear them all if you can.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.