Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: new amps?

I use Atma-Sphere M60 Mk2's with Merlin VSM's and I think that it is a very successful match.

Both the Atma-Sphere's and the Merlins can be described by the same adjectives: dynamic, lively, fast, accurate, musical... Bobby owns and uses 100 watt Joules at shows. They sound great. They look great; but again, I am very pleased and Atma-Sphere's are less expensive than comperable Joule Electra amps.

I have heard the VSM with the Berning and to my ears it did not have the same life that I hear with Atma-Sphere's. Some have said that it could have been the tubes in the Berning. I don't know if a tube change would make the difference. It is not the direction that I went or suggest.

Lastly, I think that Purist cables are a magical mix with our speakers and Atma-Sphere. If you do purchase Atma-Sphere amps, I also suggest that you run to them with a balanced (XLR) signal. I do not have a preamp. Instead I run directly from a Wadia which also is designed as a balanced product. This makes a positive difference.

Do you have the latest Merlin-MX? Mine are back with Bobby for the upgrade and I a eager to have them back.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: new amps? - cmathes 16:17:26 11/26/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.