Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Atma-Centric tube tester (trial baloon)

The primary reason for making a tester that does both the small triodes and the power tubes, is that the owner might *not* have access to a tester for the small tubes.

As far as using the amps themselves as testers, there are two issues:

1) Wear and tear on the sockets in the amps. Wearing them out from tube-testing use is not a nice way to treat the equipment. Replacing 16,28, or 40 bagged-out sockets is not a cheap operation.

2) Using the amp as a tester for small groups of new tubes isn't all that practical.

The idea of using tip-jacks isn't a bad one, in fact, we're doing a custom mod on a pair of M-60's right now, that incorporates installing a tip jack for each power triode section. There is no real safety concern, as the jacks are just a volt or two above chassis potential.

That said, installing jacks on every piece of equipment will result in a price increase; something we try to avoid. Aesthetically, they are not too bad, but there is another issue.

A prospective buyer looks at an amp with 16 or 28 jacks on it, and the logical assumptions are 1) they are there for a reason 2) I will need to stick something into them on a regular basis, maybe just to check bias 3) I will have to understand the how & why of it. These are not good selling points, IMO.

Again, I just brought this up for the sake of groupthink..

Perhaps a 6AS7-only tester, with like 8 sockets in it.. so that whole batches can be quickly compared? Just thinking..

Thank you for your comments,
Bill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.