Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Curious why the O.T.L. board moves so much slower than the S.E.T. board.

I agree with your basic sentiments, but I would point out that Ralph Karsten is extremely cooperative with DIY types and has made his schematics readily available in the past. The same could be said about Bruce Rozenblitt. On the old ASOG website, there was a lot of talk about innovative modifications to the basic Atma-sphere design, including ideas about modifying the input voltage amplifier, doing away with driver tubes, etc. These themes are absent from this forum perhaps because those who were more technically knowledgable have abandoned us, e.g., Paul Speltz, Jennifer White-Wolff Clark, Al Sekala, Mark Gilmore, Kevin Covi. Those guys used to post on a daily basis. Most of them are now involved in the commercial aspects of audio and/or otherwise estranged. Then again, the fact remains that there are only two really viable methods for designing an OTL output circuit, the Futterman and the circlotron, which seem to have proven superior to the other variations on the theme. Finally, a lot of knowledgable DIYers just don't seem to give a hoot about OTLs, I think because most of them have no experience with the approach, and many actually like to deal with the design problems posed by the output transformer. I recommend Kevin Covi's website for anyone who wants to read good stuff about OTL design theory, and if you can find it, the archives of the ASOG would also be a good source, esp the Tweaks section.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread

You can not post to an archived thread.