Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Ditto on both Futterman and Karsten

I think Julius told me to use those mesh-type 6EJ7s, too. I remember being in Julius' "factory", a room or two in a walk-up on 72nd St near Broadway in NYC. He usually had a transformer cooking in the same room, probably spewing out PCBs all over the place. He had huge boxes of new 6LF6s just lying around. He loved his headphone amplifier perhaps the most, and on at least two occasions he asked me to listen to the latest version on his headphones. He had a helper, a man who appeared to be much older than Julius (who was then in his 70s), who never spoke in my presence. He charged $5 each for tested replacement 6LF6s. I also remember the "hardware store" parts quality and the lights dimming at turn-on. After he passed on, I needed a single 6LF6, because one cracked due to my own mishandling of the amplifier, and I contacted NYAL. Harvey said he and he alone had the "data" for my particular set of amps and that he could sell me the tube I needed for $50. Instead, I bought a bunch from a local distributor for much much less, and the randomly selected new tube biased up just fine and lasted to the end of my ownership of those H3aas. Although they are culturally about as different as two Americans can be, there are a lot of similarities in character between Julius and Ralph Karsten, and I mean that as a compliment to both.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.