Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Berning ZH270 or Seigfried compared to Atma-sphere MA60

>>>In other words the behavior of the tube becomes the signal analog to influence the active voltage to current converter which is entirely solid state

===Nope.

The Bernings use a device, (not mosfets or transistor nor another gain stage)to change impedance up into mhz, and to an output suitable for driving spkrs. The -device- is a unique Berning designed inductor of sorts, has a "wound" turns ratio, this is where the confusion lies. The tube directly drives the load, through this high freq "inductor".

Inductor is a misnomer because no "inductor" has ever been made this way.

Personally I think it is every bit -otl- as circlotron only much more advanced. OK, it uses less than 1% of _some_ inductance so it is still using inductance but in a weird and unusual way. So in a way it -has- an inductor. But not at all suspect to the usual saturation and inductance distortions like every other tube amp, except circlotron and hybrid otl's.

Berning is unique, and far away the most advanced circuit for tubes period. True to thermionic dissapation as a musical fuel for amplification, it does things no other amp can. It's very stable, efficient and very low in distorion and hum. DC couled and flat response to 2hz and ultimate stability.

As far as I know Sigfreids are sold out, single ended and VG sounding. I have the PP version and would never part with it.

I was sure the amp was made by extraterrestrials, until I found another inductor hand made, wrapped on a wooden dowel. The end of the dowel had saw marks, not smooth laser cut surfaces, proving it was made by humans.

TC

"big deal, so what?"

Dr. Emilio Lizardo

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.