Home News Asylum

The latest in breaking audio industry news. You heard it first, right here.

What I can do...

Is search for previously posted methods (me and others) and see if I can refer to them. Plus I need to check it for accuracy up to and including XP. Then I would need some volunteers to repeat said tests under Vista/Win7 to confirm behavior of WASAPI.

The test works well for digital outs (SPDIF, AES/EBU, USB and likely firewire devices as well). Any change to the bit accuracy of the DTS encoded test track scrambles the info the decoder needs at the other end. There is the trick - you need to send you data into a device which can decode DTS streams. It's not a valid or practical test for ALL applications, but when it's usable, it's always definitive and makes bitperfect troubleshooting in real time a breeze. When you are bitperfect, you get music. When you're not you get thissssssssssss. And you can actually get digital mixing to engage/disengage DURING playback and begin to make real corollary between things that affect bitperfect playback and things that dont - for EACH type of output you want to use or test. I wish I made a proper test report... I believe it's time to repeat this whole experiment, and on different OS as well.

I still use XP because I have drivers for all the hardware I have here, it works without hiccup, the OS is stripped down for dedicated audio usage, and I think I get fantastic sound where the OS is not the weakest link (hardware is now where I think I can get the most benefit from upgrade).

I really need to find the originator(s) of this test and give him/them proper accreditation for this fantastic idea.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.