Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Introduction and tweak inquiry

Hi folks,

I figured the new year was a good time to de-lurk. I've been coming around from time to time to soak up all the good info and learn how to rebuild my speakers.

I've had a pair of MGIIs and a pair of SMGs up in the attic for a few years now, waiting for me to get them back into commission. Being recently unemployed, I'm allowing myself a small budget of time for personal projects. The bulk of my time is dedicated to starting a business.

Anyway, on to the question. Needing less work, I decided to start on the SMGs. I have the rewiring kit from Magnepan and will start the tweeters tomorrow. While I have them open, I've been contemplating cutting the panels down a bit to end up with a narrower pair - say 18" wide (more like the later versions). No problem making custom socks, trim and stands. The cuts would leave around 3 inches of MDF on each side of the driver panels.

Has anybody tried this? Am I courting sonic disaster? I'm not too worried about the other risks of the surgery as I have next to nothing into this pair. The idea is to end up with something that doesn't dominate the room like the wider panel does.

Thanks!
Tim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Introduction and tweak inquiry - tjfuss 18:48:11 01/01/06 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.