Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Choke in ESL Supply

I got over to my buddies on Sunday afternoon and we inserted the 7 Henry chokes (one each in series with the high voltage supply just in front of the diapjragm after the load resistor). While probably not the same impact as the 10 Henry chokes that Rob used and while not quite the huge difference that I expected I must say that we were both very impressed. Rob nailed it when he said that the impact was to the mid/bass. Now the speaker have slam and impact the likes of a fine mid/bass dynamic driver. Every thing seems to be cleaner and more controlled with improved dynamics. I also noted that there is less of the over all euphonic quality that other electrostatics have. After thinking about it for a bit that makes sence in that a smeer has been removed or reduced. This makes me think that perhaps I should build a set of panels with bare wire and eliminate the capacitive dielectric all together. Tell me do you think that ther will be a substantial difference between 7 and 10 Henry chokes? Thank you Rob very much for the info regarding this impressive mod. This is one of those mods that just has to be done if you want to hear what the speaker can really do. If you don't use a choke in your supply well then you just can not appreciate the improvement, there is no other way to get there from here.
I will try putting the two chokes in series to achieve a 14 Henry total and run both panels off the single supply. Best regards for now Moray James.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Choke in ESL Supply - moray james 16:35:29 06/29/05 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.