Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

ET LFT VIIIa XOver Mods ???????

Hi fellow inmates.

I am not new to this forum (lurk mode for a couple of years)
but this is my first official post.Hopefully members of this board can
provide some answers for my need to tweak electronics to enjoy there full potential. First of all,I would like to thank all the inmates that have provided many "quality" mods for the Planar nuts in the audio world (myself included).

Now to get to the heart of my query. I have ordered a pair of ET LFT-VIIIa's w/ Sound Anchors from Larry at Hollywood Sound. I should be recieving them in about 3 weeks time. I have read of crossover mods in the asylum for this speaker but very few details are available. My question(s) surround simple mods at first (rewire the XO with Cardas Litz or DH Labs Silver Sonic) to a possible full mod of the stock crossover at a later date. I have looked at the XO schematic provided at the ET website's LFT 8 support page and noticed the design called for a very large value cap (470 uF)at the C4
junction. I thought this was a typo at first but after looking at the layout drawing it would seem the value is indeed correct. Where would I find a high quality cap of this value ? Would it be okay to replace all the other parts but leave this cap in place ( if a replacement can't be had for a reasonable sum ) or would this defeat the purpose of the XO upgrade ?
The other caps are of typical values making them easy to find. Has any LFT-VIIIa owner(s) modded his or her LFT VIIIa's XO ? If so, could you post details about what you did, with what parts and where you obtained these parts ? I would like to use Jensen coils and caps.I think the Aluminum PIO caps might be the best bang for the buck out there ATM. What brand resistors would be the best choice ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R-Man

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - ET LFT VIIIa XOver Mods ??????? - R-Man 21:22:01 10/27/03 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.