Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Plate chokes for 10k Rp type tube

Hello Shane:

First let me ask a few questions about your application. I'm going to assume that this is a voltage amplifier whose plate will feed the grid of a succeeding tube (power tube?).

How will it be coupled to the succeeding tube? RC coupling? LC coupling? transformer coupling?

If transformer coupling tell me what the nominal impedance of the primary winding is.

If say your RC coupling... one rule of thumb to begin to estimate how much L you want in the plate choke is too take the value of what would be an appropriate plate load resistor for your operating points. Once we have that value it is a matter of calculating how much L is necessary to have that much inductive reactance at your lowest frequency of interest (say 30 hz).

At four mils of dc bias current... it's not going to be terribly difficult to be able to get a substantial amount of L and to keep the unit physically (relatively speaking) smallish in size. There are a wide range of design strategies and tricks that I can use to keep the C "small"... I don't anticipate a problem here from what I am now picturing.

Pricing is of course reflected in the course of action I take in wishing to minimize capacitance... the advanced strategies add to the cost of winding the coils. I would also recommend our PLUS strategy used in plate chokes and other special inductors. This involves winding symmetrical twin humbucking coils that are electrical equals but of opposite winding phase.

with the plus coil construction your capacitive gradients (potentials) will be the same irrespective of which one of the two lead wires you orient toward ac ground or ac high.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.