Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Hi-fi via cellphone?

Recently I was in the market for a new cellphone. I've been Android based and wanted to stay in that ecosystem. And I've been with T-Mobile as my carrier.

Within those constraints I found myself needing to shop for a new phone after my beloved Sony Ultra Z GPE succumbed for the third time to sudden death (bricked). Google keeps replacing them with no hassles.. but my confidence level has evaporated to zero.

To make a long story shorter... I wound up buying an LG V10... part of the reason I bought this phone was that they had advertised that it had a 32 bit hi-fi dac in it. I didn't explore this claim any further before I bought it... I did not see any other phones even addressing "audio" issues or playback quality.

After buying the LG V10... out of curiosity I did some research to see if I could learn more about what dac they were using.

The V10 is using an ESS 9018C2M dac and the ESS9602C as the headphone amp.

My understanding is that these are very good quality components and especially for cell phones.

The amp is said to be able to drive 600 ohm phones at 2 vrms.

I haven't yet listened with any of my better phones (say HD600 and 650's) and I don't have any high quality recordings on the phone yet...

but I'm curious if other folks have explored hi-fi potential when buying a cell phone and what your listening experiences have been.

One other nice thing about the V10 is that it came with 4gb of ram and 64 gigs of built in storage expandable via SD card up to 200 gigabytes (264 gb in total)-- which should give me room to download and store some hi res recordings.

So I am curious about the dac and amp chip...

Mike

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

Edits: 12/01/15 12/01/15 12/01/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Hi-fi via cellphone? - mqracing 01:13:21 12/01/15 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.