Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Parafeed musings

I have also measured the reduction in bass extension with an unbypassed cathode resistor. To over-simplify, if you assume the parafeed cap is small than at low frequencies the rolloff point is set by the tube's rp and the plate choke inductance. With a unbypassed cathode resistance, the rp is increased significantly, increasing the LF corner.

Obviously it gets more complicated when you add in the real parafeed capacitance. I have also made simulations which show the importance of including the plate choke and output transformer core losses if you are not to draw unwarranted conclusions.

In spite of that, I will note that the unbypassed cathode resistor, by increasing the effective rp, reduces the damping factor in the deep bass, strongly affecting the bass of most speakers. The interactions here are too complex to simplify into rules of thumb, so experimentation and careful listening is still the order of the day!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Parafeed musings - Paul Joppa 09:36:13 05/15/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.