Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Mexico Series passive pre

Thanks to Mike LaFevre, Xavier Cortes, Anthony Cirella (of Handmade Electronics) and my late father-in-law, I have completed the world's first Mexico Series (copper) passive pre!

A while back Mike posted that he had a pair of new Mexico Series High Nickel B7 10k:10k transformers with copper windings available. He also confirmed that the designation "Mexico Series" was due to Xavier ordering a pair with silver primaries and secondaries. After some correspondence I ordered the copper pair, and then, having decided my conscience (budget) wouldn't allow the purchase of a P&G 10k pot to match, had Mike send me an Alps Blue Velvet instead. I ordered some Cardas jacks and Kimber wire from Handmade Electronics, and picked out an old cigar box of late father-in-law's which I had set aside for just such an occasion.

The eagle-eyed among you will see evidence of my ham-handed construction abilities - in my efforts to avoid having too long wires poking around everywhere, I made some too short, and had to extend them!

The volume knob is just a temporary Radio Shack one - I have some old chickenhead knobs around here somewhere, but think I'm going to try to find a wooden knob to finish it off.

Anyway, I checked and it works fine! I will soon be running it into my old Bottlehead Afterglow amps, which feature Magnequest TFA-204 output transformers! And it reminded me that I have the Magnequest bike jersey from way back!

Many thanks to Magnequest and all others who instigated, supplied or inspired parts and ideas.

Here are the progress pictures I took - sorry they aren't in logical order:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Mexico Series passive pre - Pete B. 17:25:56 05/10/15 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.