Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Weekend eye candy (prototypes)

Hopefully Sideways 8 will get some international distribution and an American importer\representative. It's gorgeous stuff. And uses all quality parts and components throughout. I think the designer builds the best amp he can and then prices it... rather than first establishing a price point and then seeing how much "quality" he can get into that matrix.

All of the best sounding and best built products are done in this order... the opposite way just seems to result in "who can slide on their belly the furthest"... not a good approach for music nor for longevity.

And MQ has another long term OEM who has always used the same approach... he'll call me and ask for guidance and advice on the selection of ironware and then he'll optimize around the recommended iron choices. The opposite is you get OEM's (and some diy'ers) who call and want to dictate what the iron should or must be with little to no understanding of the physics, optimalities, and the inter-relationships between a multitude of various performance factors...

Another misguided demand I often have to deal with is the sort of "there's only one parameter" that is important... say low dcr in a choke... nothing else matters... core losses could be ten times greater than the copper losses... but it's a good choke because it SIMPLY has low dcr. Nope. That's not the way I roll in designing\building magnetics.

Or the transformer must use a specific core material... independently of how or if or when such an option might be optimal or actually provide the end user (or OEM) with a real world benefit.

Or they will adopt a generalization like higher primary impedance is better (i.e., has lower distortion) than a set of operating points with a lower bias current and\or lower nominal primary impedance. Never stopping to think about or take into account that the plate curves they are relying on are drawn from purely resistive loads on the tube. Sorry folks output transformers (which you'll be using with your tubes) are not purely resistive--- wouldn't it be smarter to look at the output stage holistically--- as you'll want to optimize the operating points with consideration of the output trans which will be loading your anodes.

Haven't been on the soapbox for a while... felt good... hope ya'll enjoyed my ranting.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

Edits: 03/26/15 03/26/15 03/26/15 03/26/15 03/26/15 03/26/15 03/26/15 03/26/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Weekend eye candy (prototypes) - mqracing 06:09:03 03/26/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.