Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

re: a transformer's REAL operating impedance

I too think level II or components therefrom could form the basis for a useful "tool".

Would need to include only the variables that the end user would have some shot of actually obtaining the values of--- so that they could plug in the numbers to play.

Of the variables in Level II that Paul Joppa listed... I think the following could be included;

DCR (winding resistances)

self-inductance

anode's r sub p

the following variables are not likely to be available to the end user...

eddy current losses

hysteresis losses

Leakage L

lumped capacitance

and I agree that the "load on the secondary" should be represented as a pure resistance.

If it is possible I think a neat tool or model would be to (as VS did) show the "real" loadlines of the TUT (transformer under test) and superimpose these loadlines on the "flat line" loadline gleaned from a set of static plate curves.

From there I think it should be possible to calculate the distortion generated by the anode from the "real" loadlines and contrast that data to the plate curve results.

Should also be able to calculate when voltage and current clipping would occur.

these are just some thoughts...

please feel free to comment or add variables that you think would make the model richer--- keeping in mind that (at least on first pass) we should want to keep the variables which the end user has some realistic chance of obtaining.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • re: a transformer's REAL operating impedance - mqracing 09:47:36 02/22/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.