Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

active loading with parallel feed?

I've been looking over Gary Pimm's article on active loads for tubes, and saw his example of CCS loading on an output stage (see link). He uses a CCS above the plate on the output tube to handle the DC current, and a parallel feed output transformer, with a DC blocking cap, parallel to the tube. The triode handles the AC component by working into the load presented by the primary of the output transformer. Now, in the standard parallel feed output transformer configuration, the total inductance is the parallel sum of the output transformer and the plate choke. When you replace the plate choke with a CCS, as Gary shows, there is no parallel inductance component. So the total inductance will be much higher (set by only the output transformer). In my case, a full stack Ni TFA-2004 output transformer will have quite a lot of inductance. Is there any problem with high freq response when operating this way? It looks like a nice idea to me, but I haven't seen may people using this approach. Maybe it just doesn't sound as good? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - active loading with parallel feed? - DanK tubes 21:59:00 02/12/11 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.