Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

More logical fallacies

"Your arguements (sic) are very speculative and have allowed virtually no verifuication (sic) in life. Pray tell, how does the smell of teflon, invented by accident in the 30's IIRC, have anything to deal with the smell of danger (?) Surely primitive man did not have plastics when evolution dealt us the sense of smell."

Perhaps it's like the smell of burning insulation or the smell of natural gas from the unlit gas stove. Man has always learned to adapt to new dangers. Like the sound of screeching brakes of an approaching automobile or the whistle of an approaching train at a railroad crossing or the color of a traffic light. Do you have to be struck by a train to understand that the whistle means danger? Of course not.

"Why is smell subjugated to the sense of sight?"

Simple, because sight was more important than smell to primitive man for pinpointing the location and direction and speed of a potential predator. Sight was also more important than sound for locating predators, which is why man's sense of hearing developed after his sense of vision. Follow?

"Also please do not confuse your statements of observation with mine. There are many disagreements I have with your statements of things affecting sound ( say your freezing of photographs, for example). Again you make many statements but offer little in terms of verifiable causality. At least present a hypothesis that may be tested and also take into possible accounting other explanations."

"Verifiable causality?" Love it when you pretend to talk like an expert. Of course, you could verify the freezing of photos by actually trying the experiment. But that would be too, uh, obvious.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • More logical fallacies - geoffkait 08:41:52 08/04/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.