Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Seems we've

>> “RF is a fact of life today: wifi, radio, TV, cell phones, etc. The use of such devices has increased logarithmically in the past decade or so. I can not see why you deny its presence.” <<

Where on earth have I ever denied the presence of RF ???????????????????????

I made it perfectly CLEAR when I said “That such as RF energy, microwave energy, electromagnetism, a surplus or deficiency of ions, static etc are all creating (put simply) mischief or creating (exaggerating) havoc in the modern environment.”

That sentence of mine is hardly DENYING the presence of RF !! Please don’t misrepresent what I say.

I am perfectly aware that some electromagnetism can have an effect on the audio signal (hence the hum of the AC mains which can be heard sometimes when picked up by the audio system (particularly with a turntable) and how such as an unshielded pick up arm wire can pick up a radio signal if in close proximity to such. And, how service engineers, in trying to find the site of a fault in a circuit, are known to physically touch components in that circuitry with their finger and as soon as they heard the hum of the AC mains they would know that the fault would be in the circuitry before that part - because they had used their own body to induce some signal energy into the circuit.

What I challenge is the way you always wish to explain the changes in the sound you observe when doing numerous things in the environment as “having an effect on the audio signal”, including doing things which are metres and metres away from any audio signal or any audio equipment.

>> “Take your stance against batteries. Is it the chemical nature of batteries or is it the energy storage. If it is chemical then there ought to be a difference between carbon/zinc, alkaline, lithium ion, lead/acid, etc. types. If it is the energy storage, I am sure many audiophiles have had the experience when accidentally turning off an amplifier before the preamp and source material, to hear the music playing for up to several minutes. Does that mean that capacitors are bad? If so, then all electronic componentry is bad , because there is scarcely a single a component I know of which does NOT use a capacitor.” <<

I believe it is the polarity of batteries which is the major problem – for us (human beings). We, human beings don’t like that type of polarity in our environment. Ditto magnets. And, yes, capacitors are also bad. As are transformers. But I am not talking here ONLY about such things being a problem in audio equipment. They are a problem JUST being present, PASSIVELY, in the room. !!!!! Batteries are polarized objects – whatever their shape and whatever they are made from. Magnets are polarised objects – whatever their shape and whatever they are made from.

>> “GK himself, in defending you, on this battery thing, places himself in a paradox. His Clock obviously uses a battery.” <<

If GK has any sense, and has learned anything from our work, he should be ‘treating’ the battery.!!!!!!!!!!!

>> “As to whether the electrical effects can influence thinking, that is another story. Your cortex covers the external brain and is triggered by nerve synapses. In a sense, the neural network forms a "faraday cage" of sort around your brain. If the electrical energy could significantly affect your perceptions and thoughts, I believe the widespread use of MRI's and CAT scans and such should have clearly presented cases to that effect. I know of no documented cases of enhanced or decreased perception following such procedures.” <<

Surely your paragraph, with it’s reference to a ‘faraday cage’ being created by the neural network taking place in the cortex is STILL centred on the theme of electrical activity in the environment having a DIRECT effect on what goes on in the brain and with the hearing mechanism !!!

How many times do I have to say it.??? When I refer to electromagnetism, RF, Microwave energy etc, present in the environment “having an effect” I don’t mean a DIRECT effect. It merely has to just BE THERE to cause problems – problems for us !!. Meaning it’s very presence is a problem if it prevents us from ‘signing off our environment as safe’.

>> “Indeed your very questions addressed to me could similarly be addressed to yourself. One does not rest on your laurels, so to speak, and say everything known has already been addressed.” <<

Believe me, sir, there is certainly NO “resting on our laurels”. I have never said, or claimed, that everything known has already been addressed. We have never stopped working at it or discovering !!!!!!!!!!! What I DO say is that Peter was amongst the first to discover many of the things now being discussed, as was Enid Lumley, as was Jean Hiraga, as was Ed Meitner.

>> “Coating the sugar cube was predictable to me to be inferior sounding. I went ahead simply to confirm my prediction.” <<

So, your prediction was that coating the sugar cube would give you inferior sound. Now, Unclestu, what are you going to do when you coat the sugar cube with some other lacquer and you UNEXPECTEDLY get an IMPROVEMENT in the sound ???

Are you really saying that you can predict, in advance, whether the sound will be better or worse with all the experiments you do, or are you ever taken by surprise by something happening CONTRARY to what you would predict. It would appear that you can’t always predict or you would not use the word “curiously” !! If you are able to predict the outcome, then you would not have found it curious, you would have already known what the outcome would be.

>> “Curiously it does not work as well over the battery or capacitor terminals, however.” <<

If you say such things like “you went ahead simply to confirm your prediction”. then that is really not always regarded as “experimenting/investigating” to see what happens !! It is merely confirming what you are expecting to happen. If you use the word “Curiously” then that means that you HAD NOT predicted, that you had not expected what actually happened.

>>“While not my idea, originally, I believe I was the first to post that black was detrimental on Tweaks Asylum;” <<

“Whilst not your idea” !! So, could you possibly have read that snippet of information in the British Hi Fi magazines way back in the 1980s ??????????

>> “All other colors involve additional color doping, including the water clear variety, thus all other colors have the dye lots affecting the dielectric properties.” <<

You are still on with the theme of ‘colours affecting the dielectric properties’ because of the dyes involved.!!

Why don’t you try experiments with wires, keeping exactly the SAME coloured insulation but improve the sound by just ‘treating’ that SAME outer insulation ? Or improving the sound by putting the wire through the freezing/slow defrost procedure ? Or, even better do those same experiments of changing the sound but this time with a PASSIVE mains wire with black insulation on (say) a table lamp, with the table lamp sitting passively on a table, metres and metres away from any audio equipment, with the passive cable not connected to the AC power, just dangling loosely from the table lamp. Will the explanation of “the dielectric properties being affected because of the dyes involved” explain the sound being improved when the cable belonging to the table lamp in THAT experiment is not involved, in any shape or form, with or anywhere near the audio system ?? How can it be ‘having a dielectric effect on the signal’ ?

>> “If you are referring to to the color of the insulation, black insulation generally has carbon added to it, which is slightly conductive and thus the signal will enter the the insulation and return at a delay in in time. Wrapping the wire merely changes the inductance and capacitance by adding a layer of damping. The color still makes a difference, however, because of the dye lots employed.” <<

What has all that got to do with such as the passive cable belonging to the passive table lamp Which is not carrying any signal? We have carried out numerous demonstrations during the late 1980s. Such as when Hi Fi Retailers always had Quad Electrostatic speakers in stock and they were not needed for demonstrations on any particular day, the Quads were usually stored in a corridor or passageway, outside the demonstration rooms. You could ‘treat’ the PASSIVE cables of the PASSIVE Quad electrostatics, sitting PASSIVELY in an outside corridor with the PASSIVE cables NOT connected to the AC supply and improve the sound of whatever audio equipment was being demonstrated in the actual listening room !! Explain THAT by ‘an effect on the audio signal in the listening room’ or by ‘having a dielectric effect on the signal’!!

We were investigating the sound of various metals when used as conductors way back in the late 1970s. And THEN we investigated the sound of various insulation materials to place around those metal conductors. In fact, Peter’s investigations were referred to by Martin Colloms in his 1984 “Cable Controversy” articles. – 27 years ago !!!

The COLOUR of the insulation material is significant even when the cable is not carrying any audio signal and is not connected to the AC power supply!! As are the chemicals involved in the various plastic mixtures !!

Regards,
May Belt,
Manufacturer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Seems we've - May Belt 09:37:36 06/07/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.