In Reply to: LOL! posted by unclestu on April 5, 2011 at 15:19:15:
"E.O. Wilson's book is subtitled the Unity of Knowledge."
Geez, that's kind of a pompous subtitle for a book, doncha think?. A Unified Field Theory for Philosphers.
"What I have read so far shows the thoughts of a man who is dedicated to a multidisciplinary approach to an understanding and making sense of the world around us."
I'm glad someone is.
"Human sensory perceptions, language, genes, environment, mathematics, physics, and then some are all an integral part of that understanding."
Oh, boy, that's kind of what I was afraid of. LOL
"In my reading thus far, he presents a balanced approach, advocating certain theories and presenting evidence to support his thesis, but at the same time presenting caveats."
I certainly hope he presents a balanced approach. After all, the subtitle of his book is The Unity of Knowledge. Let me know if you get to the parts about the theory of morphic resonance or Bohm's Implicate Order.
Caveats are OK, as long as they're not too pushy. LOL
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - interesting reading - unclestu 15:27:36 03/31/11 (20)
- Started reading Freeman Dyson's - unclestu 15:24:24 04/12/11 (0)
- Consilience (long) - unclestu 17:02:28 04/08/11 (6)
- One most important factor left out - unclestu 13:02:24 05/16/11 (0)
- RE: Consilience (long) - May Belt 11:01:47 04/09/11 (3)
- RE: Consilience (long) - May Belt 08:45:13 04/10/11 (1)
- Funny - unclestu 12:06:53 04/11/11 (0)
- RE: Consilience (long) - geoffkait 13:17:42 04/09/11 (0)
- RE: Consilience (long) - geoffkait 04:01:03 04/09/11 (0)
- RE: interesting reading - rick_m 07:46:28 04/03/11 (0)
- RE: interesting reading - geoffkait 05:18:45 04/02/11 (10)
- So you're basing - unclestu 13:34:38 04/04/11 (8)
- Stalker alert! - geoffkait 16:47:35 04/04/11 (7)
- LOL! - unclestu 17:38:24 04/04/11 (6)
- RE: interesting reading - May Belt 07:00:27 04/02/11 (0)