Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Believing in belief.

Some good points there.

Actually, I don't dismiss anything out of hand. I HAVE tried greening the edges of discs, and in my system (Rotel CD player/ Parasound preamp/ Adcom amp/ a variety of speakers) it sorta-kinda-halfassed-maybe made a slight audible difference. Not enough to say for sure. Surprisingly, I DID hear a distinct difference on the very low-end system (Technics CDP/ mid-'70s Sansui receiver/ anonymous monkey-coffin speakers) at the local used record store, when we compared two copies of a Simon & Garfunkel CD, one greened and one not. Difference? Yeah. Improvement? Couldn't say for sure.

Resonance-absorbing CD mats make some sense in theory, because they may damp vibrations that cause increased jitter. But after hearing a couple of horror stories about said mats getting off-center, caught in the mechanism, and really goobering up the works, I shy away from them.

My most recent "tweak" involved putting a 20-pound concrete Buddha (two bucks at a yard sale) on top of a large dictionary on top of my subwoofer. Just with my fingertips, I can feel that the top panel of the sub box resonates a bit less than it does with nothing on it. And I seem to hear a greater improvement in bass tightness and definition than I would expect just from that amount of damping. I have to wonder, is the sonic improvement entirely due to the resonance damping, or is part of it psychoacoustic? I mean, the Buddha just looks so SERENE sitting there. He makes me smile, and maybe puts me in a better mood to enjoy listening.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.