Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Bill your impression on these drivers?

Fe208 sigma has the most bass extension and definition. By definition, I mean from 90Hz to 120hz - it sounds more life-like than the others.
The ff225k is very similar to a JBL le-8 it is a good replacement for this driver. It does not have the rising characteristic of the other drivers. It is a very smooth sounding speaker. If the Lowther 2kHz zing is offensive to you- this ( ff225k) would be a better choice.
The fe207e is similar to the Lowther in it’s tone quality- but in my opinion sounds too “papery” (I.E. not enough magnet) to my ear.

The Lowther PM6a is my choice, as I like the super crisp voice quality. While the voice really jumps out at you, I like this sound.

As far as x-max goes- it does not take much to drive these drivers into distortion- but they are very load when this occurs ( 115dB). The Lowther has an underhung vice coil, so the x-max is better than it would seem.
X-max also infers that you would want a rear chamber- it is quite a bit less when used this way.

You loose the main benefit of a backload horn with a rear chamber. Like all designs, there is a trade off.
In short if like classical music- pick the ff225k.
If you like jazz, or “souped up” life-like presence-choose the PM6 or Fostex Fe208 sigma.

Bill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.