Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Jensen F12NS field coil speakers

Hi Michael,

Congratulations on the Jensens; they are really fine units.

I have repaired many cones with damage like you have described with a small amount of Titebond wood glue, thinned slightly with water and applied with a fine artist's brush. The object is to coax the cone fibers back together in their original relationship, and saturate the area of the crack or tear with just enough glue to restore the strength of the cone when dry.

These Jensens are often found with these mismatched field coil values, as the 250 and 5,000 ohm resistances were used in the Hammond amplifier circuit. It may be easier and more practical to obtain more drivers of the same resistances and pair them up, rather than disassemble and rewind the one(s) you have. Nevertheless, I have a few spare Jensen 12" field coils in several values and may be able to help you out. I can also supply you with winding info and advice; please write to me privately for this.

These drivers should be able to handle 15 watts of power safely, but you might not want to listen to it...their sensitivity is very high! In most hi fi uses you will be feeding them milliwatts. Although they were mostly used in direct radiator (often open backed) organ tone cabinets, they would be excellent in front loaded midbass horns. These are marvelous drivers, and you will have a hard time finding their equal in a permanent magnet driver.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.