Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

It makes the sound...

Removing the bug screens on all compression drivers has made them sound better to my ears. Some people will try to argue that the screen is “acoustically transparent”, but it was rather easy for me and others to distinguish which driver had its screen removed. If you are used to listening to your drivers with the screens in, it may initially sound like the drivers are “in your face” after removing them. However, you will get used to the new sound very quickly. The primary advantage of removing the screens is an increase in apparent dynamics. This is especially true during music passages that are complex; with the screens in, the music sounded congested, compressed, and muffled. Not that the TD-2001 can be described as muffled; all of this is relative in nature. Removing the screens just give you more of the good things the TD-2001 already does. Without the screens, the sound is more dynamic, free flowing and unveiled. If you have to have something to protect your drivers from dust, etc., than I recommend you go ahead and remove the screens and use the cloth speaker grill material between the driver and horn. The cloth is far less harmful to the sound than the metal screen. Stretch the cloth out as far as possible and then tighten the driver on the horn. This will keep the cloth in place and you won’t have to worry about air leaks either. You will get enough compression on the cloth to make a good seal between the horn and driver. I hope I have been able to address all your concerns.

Best regards, JLH

P.S. Is the Ray that assisted Bruce at the show in Lima?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.